Frequently Asked Questions

What can I contact Complaints Wales about?

You can contact us about any public service that you want to complain about but do not know who to complain to. Whilst the range of public services is vast, examples of the types of things people want to complain about are:

  • Services provided by the NHS
  • Social housing
  • Anti-social behaviour
  • Social services
  • Taxation
  • Benefits
  • Pensions
  • Planning
  • Refuse collection
  • Immigration
  • Police


What if I want to complain about a public service, but do not know who exactly provides that service?

Phone our advice team on 0300 123 1299. Having explained to them what your complaint is about they should be able to tell you which organisation is responsible for this service (it may be that more than one public service provider is involved in the service you want to complain about).


What advice can you provide?

We can tell you how to make a complaint, where to send it and who you can approach for more help with it, but we cannot advise you about the subject of your complaint.


Will it cost me anything to use the Complaints Wales service?

The advice and information we give is free. Should you wish to phone us, then we have a 0300 phone number. This means that all calls will be charged at the normal landline rate regardless of what part of the country you are calling from, including if you use a mobile phone.


Do I have to give you my personal details?

You do not have to give us your personal details, but it would be helpful to us if you provide us with details such as your name, address, email address and/or telephone number. In particular, if you have to phone us again it will mean that we will have a note of your previous call available to us and that you will not have to repeat what you have already told us before. All information you tell us will be confidential and will not be forwarded on to any other organisation, unless you would like us to do this for you.


What if my complaint is about a public service outside Wales?

The Complaints Wales service is aimed at people receiving public services who live in Wales. However, people in Wales do receive public services from organisations based in other parts of the UK. Examples are: 

  • The Pensions Service
  • HM Revenue and Taxes
  • The Border Agency

We also provide information and advice on organisations such as these.


When can I call your advice team?

Our advice team can take calls between 9.00am and 5.00pm, Mondays to Thursdays; and between 9.00am and 4.30pm on Fridays (excluding public holidays). Outside these hours you can leave a message on our answerphone, or you can email us. We will get back to you as soon as possible.


What if I don’t hear from the public service provider I complained to?

If you do not hear from the organisation you have complained to after 20 working days get back in touch with us and we will contact them on your behalf.